Today, Buckingham Palace released the following statement:
The Duke and Duchess of Sussex have confirmed to Her Majesty The Queen that they will not be returning as working members of The Royal Family.
Following conversations with The Duke, The Queen has written confirming that in stepping away from the work of The Royal Family it is not possible to continue with the responsibilities and duties that come with a life of public service. The honorary military appointments and Royal patronages held by The Duke and Duchess will therefore be returned to Her Majesty, before being redistributed among working members of The Royal Family.
While all are saddened by their decision, The Duke and Duchess remain much loved members of the family.”
Below, a copy of the palace statement:
After Harry and Meghan stepped back from their Royal duties in January 2020, they agreed to a 12-month review; this statement is the result of that review and provides a permanent answer to the working status of the pair in the family.
So, what does this mean for the couple? See below:
- Any military appointments or patronages with links to the Royal Family will be returned to the Queen and redistributed amongst other family members.
- Meghan will no longer be patron of The Association of Commonwealth Universities, The Royal National Theatre, or The Queen’s Commonwealth Trust.
- Harry will no longer have honorary appointments with the Royal Marines, RAF Honington, and Royal Navy Small Ships and Diving; he will also no longer be patron of The Queen’s Commonwealth Trust, The Rugby Football Union, and The Rugby Football League.
- That said, the Sussexes will continue to be patrons of organizations taken on in a more personal capacity, including animal welfare charity The Mayhew and Smart Works for Meghan, and the Invictus Games and WellChild for Harry.
- The couple will retain their titles and their HRH designation, though they have expressed in the past that they will not likely use them.
Messages of support from the various patronages today following the announcement —
The Sussexes released their own message through a spokesperson today, which said the couple —
remain committed to their duty and service” and “have offered their continued support to the organisations they have represented regardless of official role.”
The statement concluded —
We can all live a life of service. Service is universal.”
Earlier this week we learned that Harry and Meghan will be doing a prime time special with their friend and neighbor, Oprah on Sunday, March 7th. CBS says that Oprah Winfrey will speak with Meghan and Harry ‘in a wide-ranging interview, covering everything from stepping into life as a Royal, marriage, motherhood, philanthropic work to how she is handling life under intense public pressure.’
More from CBS —
While this site continues to focus on the work of Meghan, Duchess of Sussex and her fashion style, we will occasionally cover the work that Harry, Duke of Sussex is doing along with any major announcements.