Meghan Wears Ralph Lauren and Stephen Jones for Prince Louis’s Christening
The Duke and Duchess were among the family members and close friends at St. James’s Palace for the christening.
Below, the guest of honor arriving with his parents, the Duke and Duchess of Cambridge, along with Prince George and Princess Charlotte. This is the first time we have seen the family of five together.
Just behind them you can see Harry and Meghan. The Archbishop of Canterbury, the Most Reverend Justin Welby, performed the christening. He also did Prince George and Princess Charlotte’s christenings, and officiated at Meghan and Harry’s wedding in May. In this video from the Daily Mail’s Rebecca English you see the couple with the Archbishop.
Lots to giggle about with the Archbishop of Canterbury for the Duke and Duchess of Sussex after he officiated at their wedding. pic.twitter.com/HsX2Xm1pXj
— Rebecca English (@RE_DailyMail) July 9, 2018
His Royal Highness appeared to sleep through most (if not all) of the event.
Earlier in the day the six godparents were announced; we share details on them from People’s story:
- Lady Laura Meade is James Meade’s wife. James is godfather to Princess Charlotte. She and James live not far from the Cambridges and have been seen joining the young family at events this summer in both Norfolk and Gloucestershire.
- Hannah Carter is a Marlborough College friend of Kate’s, she is married to Robert Carter. (Robert is also the brother of Sophie Carter — one of Kate’s closest confidants.) The Carter family lives in the county of Norfolk, close to Anmer Hall, where William and Kate have their country home.
- Lucy Middleton is a lawyer and a cousin of Kate. She is the niece of Kate’s dad Michael Middleton – and the sister of Adam Middleton, who is one of Princess Charlotte’s godparents
- Nicholas van Cutsem is one of the four van Custem brothers, who have been close to William and Harry since they were very young. He is dad to royal bridesmaid Grace — who was memorably snapped covering her ears on the Buckingham Palace balcony when she was an attendant for William and Kate in 2011. UPDATE: this is incorrect; Mr van Cutsem is Grace’s uncle, not her father.
- Harry Aubrey-Fletcher is one of William’s close friends from school, attending both prep school with the prince and, later, Eton College. He was also an usher at the wedding of William and Kate in 2011.
- Guy Pelly is a longtime close friend of William, Harry and Kate. William and Harry also attended his stateside wedding in Memphis.
Here is a look at today’s order of service.
Prince Louis was in the same christening gown worn by Prince George at his christening.
And Princess Charlotte at hers.
It is a very close copy of the gown worn by many British royal family members. More from USA Today:
Inspired by the design of Victoria’s wedding dress and believed to have been made of the same silk and lace, the garment was worn by 62 royal babies at their christenings over the next 163 years, including Prince Charles, Prince William, and Prince Harry.
After the christening of Lady Louise Windsor in 2004, the original gown was deemed too fragile, and in 2008, Queen Elizabeth II’s dresser, Angela Kelly, and Buckingham Palace’s team of dressmakers created a new garment for future royal christenings.
Below, Prince Charles in the original gown at his christening
Following the service there was a reception. On the menu: christening cake, taken from one of the top tiers of William and Kate’s wedding cake.
Meghan sported a monochromatic look in olive or khaki green, beginning with her dress by Ralph Lauren.
Lauren Ralph Lauren is the brand’s more budget-friendly collection. The dress features a boat neck, high waist with thin belt, and sleeves that are full at the top and tight at the elbow. The frock hits just below the knee.
Meghan has described herself as a Ralph Lauren fan in the past. Here you see her in “Ralph Lauren head to toe” as described in a June 30 2016 post on her Instagram page.
Thoughts about what Meghan wore in this Telegraph story by Bethan Holt, the paper’s fashion news and features director.
She has taken a far more international approach to her wardrobe than British royal women before her which reflects her own background as an American who lived in Canada before meeting her prince and the fact that she and Harry are being tipped as global ambassadors for the Royal family and Commonwealth.
Lauren couldn’t be more Establishment, except he’s the US rather UK version. His designs speak of glossy Hamptons glamour but his name has also become synonymous with a clean-cut American casual look, as evidenced by his ubiquitous polo shirts.
Meghan’s heels remain something of a mystery. Initially we thought they were another pair of Manolo Blahnik BB pumps, but that’s not the case. It’s possible the Duchess was wearing this Sergio Rossi style, the ‘Godiva’ pumps in suede. The ‘Godiva’ have a toe guard or cap on the sole of the shoe.
UPDATE: A tip of the tiara to WMW follower Kat for suggesting the LK Bennett Fern in Green – the shoes look like a good match and also have a toe cap guard on the soles. The difference is the heel cap – Meghan’s heel cap appears lighter while the LK Bennett pair have a darker heel cap.
You can just spot the toe cap guard on the bottom of the LK Bennett pair.
As we mentioned, the Duchess wore a hat by Stephen Jones. Meghan also carried matching gloves and a handbag. Neither of these items has been identified.
We saw Meghan’s ‘Galanterie de Cartier’ earrings in white gold with diamonds. (Shown below as worn on her wedding day.)
Tomorrow is a busy day; we’ll see you for the service at Westminster Abbey marking the RAF’s 100th Anniversary and other events marking the occasion. Below, a photo from a final dress rehearsal this morning for the Queen’s Color Squadron.
Queen’s Color Squadron Twitter (Click photo to visit feed)The flypast is slated to be one of the largest in decades, with the broadest selection of aircraft used in a flypast since the Queen’s Coronation in 1953.
Here is the schedule for the day’s events.
- 10:30am (5:30 am ET) Westminster Abbey service
- 11:25am (6:25 am ET) Parade on the Mall
- 1:00 pm (8 am ET)
- There will be live coverage on BBC One from 9:30 am to 1:20 pm BST