Meghan Mixes It Up & Looks Terrific for Reprezent Radio Visit

It’s not the first time Meghan has shown her love for the brand, which was founded by Polny seven years ago and named after her daughter, Zofia. Last year, Meghan wore a pair of her Dash Ear Studs on the cover of Vanity Fair. Meghan wore a wonderful mixture of British, Canadian and American styles for today’s engagement at Reprezent Radio in Brixton.

This is the second joint engagement for Meghan and Harry and their first of 2018.

As you can see in this photo from People’s Simon Perry, there were crowds waiting to see the couple.

More from The Telegraph:

Prince Harry and his bride-to-be Meghan Markle were greeted by screaming crowds as they visited a youth radio station in Brixton today to learn about its work supporting young people.

The station is based at Pop Brixton, a space created from unused office space that supports “local start-ups, creative and community organisations in Brixton.”

Harry and Meghan were at the station because they wanted to learn more about Reprezent’s model using “music, radio and media for social impact,” as a Kensington Palace release noted. From a Metro UK story about the visit:

They’re actually visiting Reprezent Radio station to meet the staff and see their work in encouraging young people to get creative and train them in radio and broadcasting.

The idea for the visit originated with Meghan and Harry. More from The Daily Mail’s Rebecca English:

….founder and CEO Shane Carey told me that #PrinceHarry and #MeghanMarkle approached him about visiting it. They admire its ethos of mentoring young people and work on mental health, apparently.

In this picture they are meeting Glory, one of the station’s presenters.

From The Daily Mail’s coverage of today’s engagement:

It has grown to become a hotbed of UK music talent with the DJs and presenters working in the music industry, running their own club nights and producing their own music.

More than 4,000 young people have been through the Reprezent programme, with over 3,000 more on the waiting list.

It offers accredited training and support in topics ranging from audio and radio production and editing, to communication skills and confidence building, work experience and volunteering.

Rebecca English also reports that Meghan and Harry listened to Flirt by Pote while at the station.

The pair also spoke with staff and trainees to learn more about the program’s impact on their lives.

The duo was clearly in their element and enjoying themselves.

Meghan and Harry posed for a group photo before leaving.

After they wrapped up their visit Meghan and Harry did a quick walkabout; here’s a quick video from People’s Simon Perry.

Now to what Meghan wore for today’s engagement. We’ll start with her coat, it is a piece we have seen previously, the Smythe Brando style in camel.

Many readers will recognize the brand as one frequently worn by Meghan, as well as her future sister-in-law, the Duchess of Cambridge. Another view.

The Brando is tailored and midi length, made of a wool blend. It features notched lapels, padded shoulders, 3 front pockets and a back vent for ease in walking. UPDATE: Smythe is taking pre-orders for the coat; it is $995 and expected to ship in August.

It also came in a leopard print this fall, still available in very limited sizes ($995) at Revolve, shown below left. We were reminded by Meghan’s Mirror that Meghan also owns the coat in salt ‘n pepper (shown below right).

Here you see Meghan wearing the salt and pepper version in an April 2016 Instagram post. Our thanks to Meghan’s Fashion for the speedy tweet on the coat ID!

It looks like Meghan wore this Marks & Spencer Wool Blend Jumper ($75), with thanks to Heaven on Twitter for the ID. It is a wool/rayon blend and has a round neck and belled sleeves.

More on the availability of the sweater via a Daily Telegraph story:

An M&S spokesperson said that although the style had nearly sold out online, there was still good availability in stores. The retailer plans to replenish stock as soon as possible.

The trousers Meghan wore are a Burberry style, but we’ve not yet determined which design.

Meghan’s scarf is from another British retailer, Jigsaw. It is the brand’s ‘Sara’ style in oatmeal (£34, about $45 at today’s exchange rates). Many thanks to Mallory on Twitter for her scarf ID.

UPDATE JAN 22: We thank Stephanie Champion Helton for her fab FB tip alerting us to news that the scarf is going to be reissued. Stephanie received notification yesterday from Jigsaw the piece will be reissued both in-store and online in March.

Meghan’s shoes are by one of her favorite brands, Sarah Flint.

She is wearing the ‘Jay’ pump in black suede with a 4″ heel and a point toe. The design also comes in a 3.5″ heel; both styles are $395. The style among those listed on the Sarah Flint site as “Meghan’s Favorites.” It is available in very limited sizes at Farfetch.

Charlotte at Mad about Meghan suggests she also wore her Aritzia ‘Amos’ dress belt today.

Meghan wore her Gold Bar earrings by Canadian jeweler Birks.

We have had a few questions about Meghan’s bracelet and rings.

Here is a better look. Initially, we thought it might be Meghan’s Giles and Brother Skinny Railroad Spike Bracelet, but on taking a closer look, it appears that is not the piece Meghan is wearing.

UPDATE JAN 10: Birks says on its Facebook page that Meghan is also wearing one of their rings, the Rosée du Matin Diamond Bar Ring in white gold. A big ‘thank you’ to Gabrielle on the WMW Facebook page for letting us know about the Birks post!

UPDATE JAN 18: It turns out that Meghan’s ring is by Zofia Day, the brand’s Bar Stack Ring ($715).

More from Monique Jessen’s People story:

This was a great example of Meghan doing understated elegance. The pieces all worked well together; combined with Meghan’s messy updo it created a casual yet chic look.

In her story in The Telegraph, Emily Cronin talks about Meghan’s fashion choices today:

…it’s the jumper that left the greatest impression. That’s because for all her red-carpet dressing experience, Markle is still new to the game of fashion diplomacy.

Had Markle opted to wear a complete look from a luxury fashion house for her visit, she could have risked coming across as remote or out of touch. And it’s certain that she would have drawn focus away from the same young people whose work she sought to champion

Here is a 2-minute Sky News video of the couple after their engagement.

We’ll leave this segment of the post with a brief video from Kensington Palace.

The other news today is that Meghan has deleted her Twitter and Instagram accounts.

More from a BBC story:

Meghan Markle has chosen to close down her Instagram and Twitter accounts, Kensington Palace has confirmed.

Prince Harry’s fiancee took the decision because the accounts “haven’t been used for some time”.

The change was first noted by Meghan’s Mirror, and as royal expert Victoria Arbiter points out, it is another big step towards Meghan’s future role as a member of the Royal Family.

1. Imke January 9, 2018 at 1:26 pm

Up do is to messy and I think all black is only worn when mourning in royal circles nowadays. Other than that great outfit.

2. Lee January 9, 2018 at 1:37 pm

It’s unfortunate that Meghan’s first public appearances have to include a heavy coat, as they are not always the most attractive items of clothing. The overall impression before she removed the coat and scarf was “disheveled”, between the bulky coat, the scarf wrapped around and around and her hair getting all mixed up in the two. I think she will learn quickly that breezy conditions require a hairdo that behaves — if her hair had been pulled back into a low pony, the shorter pieces on the sides would probably have stayed put and she wouldn’t have had to constantly fiddle with it. And the “just rolled out of bed” bun (or whatever we want to call it…) really did not work at all — I highly doubt that it ever looked good at any point of the day. I do love the sweater and slacks — SO wish Catherine would occasionally wear a well-cut pair of slacks — so once the coat and scarf were removed, the overall look was vastly improved. Still, hard to take my eyes off of the unnecessarily messy hair “do”.

1. what meghan wore January 9, 2018 at 5:19 pm

You know, I think she had good intentions with putting it in a bun and perhaps wind, cold, damp etc (as you mention) caught up with her. Again, I think it shows that she is “human” like the rest of us – good and bad hair days. 😉 I love the scarf she was wearing and wish it was still available. I happened to order myself a sweater and am looking forward to sharing with all of you followers a review. – SusanC

1. Julie January 9, 2018 at 7:40 pm

Love the scarf, too. Since it’s Jigsaw, could it have been a present from Kate? If so, thoughtful of her to wear it to this outing. Don’t know why there are so many negative comments—a scarf can be worn in lots of ways. Keeping warm is the primary goal on a chilly day. She is, after all, a S. calif girl, and speaking from experience, I nearly froze during a midwinter visit to the UK.

3. Alissa January 9, 2018 at 1:53 pm

Such a departure from Kate’s day dress and never-a-hair-out-of-place style — this will take some getting used to as a new Meghan follower but long time Kate follower. I do not think it’s appropriate for a (soon-to-be) princess to be wearing her hair thrown up like she did it in the car on the way to the event. I don’t mind the solid pieces, but I do agree all black looks melancholy and I would have loved some statement jewelry like a chunky or bib necklace to give the look some interest. Meghan has proven to have great style, but I think it needs to evolve now that she is a royal.

1. what meghan wore January 9, 2018 at 5:36 pm

Alissa, good point – I think this change from Kate in a way is a bit refreshing – what I mean by that is, I think with Meghan we will always get something new, refreshing, different from her. She is always, from the most part, polished, put together when making appearances – I am referring to past appearances before Harry that I’ve seen her at. This was more of a casual event IMO (I know I’m repeating myself, so apologies) or casual setting, so blending in a bit more and feeling a little more relaxed helps those around them feel relaxed, if that makes sense? It most likely helps to ease any nerves on all sides. At least this is how I look at it.
      I believe we will see some great looks from her – but she may not want to “over do it” in the beginning. We will have to wait and see. As we fill in the blog a bit more with some older pieces you will get a sense of how her style has changed and some amazing polished looks I think we can expect to see. 🙂 – SusanC

2. ar January 10, 2018 at 4:26 pm

The messy hair is a big no. It looks like what high school girls do in the middle of class when they decide they want their hair up and grab the elastic that is on their wrist and wind it up in ten seconds. (And I teach high school, so I know this) Fine for a girl in math class, not so much for someone representing the royal family.

And has been said here, all black has always been a no no for the BRF as it is reserved for events that are mourning: funerals, memorials, Armistice Day, etc…

NOTE: admin edit

3. jenny January 13, 2018 at 12:33 pm

I may be wrong, but Meghan isn’t going to be a princess, any more than Kate is a princess.
      If Kate is called princess, she is correctly called the Princess William, and Meghan will be the Princess Henry(Harry). Like Kate, she will actually be a duchess.
      Also, she will have a little more leeway in dress and royal life because she is marrying the spare and not the heir. Her role is a bit different, and I hope we all recognize that, and allow her some fashion freedom.
      I think she looks chic and chose clothes very fitting to the occasion. The all black outfit fit the vibe of Reprezent, and didn’t look melancholy at all to me. Her hair added a bit of funk to the sleek black outfit, and I also think it fit the mood of the people and work at Represent.
      Most of all, it’s great that they chose this organization themselves, and one obviously doing great work. Brixton could use some attention from the Royals, and Harry and Meghan gave it where it’s much needed.

4. atc January 9, 2018 at 2:10 pm

Not a personal fan of the wide trouser pant but her shoes are fabulous. I don’t mind the all black look; subtle and stylish. Any idea on the other pieces of jewelry on her right hand? Looks like they are very simple pieces as well.

5. Linda L January 9, 2018 at 2:22 pm

What rings (thumb and ring finger – look very thin) and bracelet is she wearing on her right hand?

1. what meghan wore January 9, 2018 at 3:49 pm

I will have a look to see what I can license, I know other people are interested in this as well. 🙂
      -sek

6. Lynn January 9, 2018 at 2:35 pm

Love the coat and scarf but hate the messy bun and trousers. I’m not a fan of the high waisted pants and is a style I wish would go away. As someone who wears a messy bun to work most days, I understand the ease of putting your hair up like this, but she realizes that as a soon-to-be royal, this isn’t going to work anymore. Time to upgrade the hairstyle to something more appropriate when representing the royal family.

1. Jill January 9, 2018 at 6:15 pm

Exactly what I thought. Love the coat & scarf but a no to the hair and trousers. Might be a personal thing but I don’t think wide trousers ever look correct with a long coat.

7. Kelsey January 9, 2018 at 2:57 pm

I think Meghan looks great! I love the top and pants.

8. Staci January 9, 2018 at 3:16 pm

The all black choice is interesting, but very chic.

Any better pictures of the bracelet?

1. what meghan wore January 9, 2018 at 3:49 pm

I will look for some! -sek 🙂

1. what meghan wore January 9, 2018 at 5:39 pm

Hi Staci – She is wearing her Cartier “Love” bracelet I believe. Once I see some other photos I’ll confirm, but the one above, I’m almost positive. She wears that one a lot. – SusanC

2. what meghan wore January 9, 2018 at 8:29 pm

Apologies as it’s not her Cartier upon closer look. We searching for the correct pieces and will update. SC

9. LadyLeah January 9, 2018 at 3:41 pm

First, a huge thank you to you for a fantastic post. It is such a pleasure to have found THE site I want to visit to see photos and read all about Meghan. The fun has just begun!

This was a terrific look, from head to toe. I love the mixed silhouettes of the draped sleeved top, the stylish trousers, and elegant length coat. Her ‘undone’ hair managed to look both casual but polished. Meghan looked engaged and curious and approachable.

I noticed a couple of other women at the table discussion were wearing black outfits, so Meghan looked in step with them in her choice of attire.

Harry protectively holding her hand with both of his was both sweet and made my heart squeeze a bit for her.

In her interactions with people, she looks friendly and at ease, but there are unguarded moments with snapping cameras, shouts and crowds that seem entirely overwhelming. Even to a woman who has experience with public life. I wonder if it keeps dawning on her that this is a whole differenr league of protocol, scrutiny and expectation. I think Meghan is up to the task, but wow, what an adjustment.

1. ElizaMo January 9, 2018 at 5:07 pm

I’m glad someone else appreciated the casual updo. So many comments are negative and I wouldn’t have thought it was that unusual these days. I don’t recognise those who talk of Kate’s hair never being out of place since it’s my distinct recollection that her hair has been blown in all directions on more than one occasion.

Like you I’m in awe of the adjustment Meghan must be making, I think it might be hard for her not to feel a bit cut off from her roots. But the two of them continue to look very happy and pleased with themselves so here’s hoping all will go well!

1. what meghan wore January 9, 2018 at 5:11 pm

I enjoy seeing her in a casual feel and yet an adjustment period. The one photo of her I thought she looked so pretty with the loose strand hanging naturally. To me it says “I’m human” – as that happens to me/us. This is just my perspective on it. Plus it was a more casual event overall and look very damp/cold out, no? – SusanC

2. ElizaMo January 9, 2018 at 6:24 pm

I wonder if being a stranger in a strange land might explain why she hangs on to Harry so much!

3. SSM January 9, 2018 at 8:51 pm

I also loved the casual updo. We know she loves to have something ‘undone’ and with her lovely sophisticated black outfit she chose to have that be her hair for today. I wish my casual updos looked that cute!

2. Julie January 9, 2018 at 7:23 pm

Loved the look. I’m amazed at negative comments since she wore lovely trousers (which are more stylish than skinny jeans and low slung pants), many royals wear black (and not just to funerals), she wore an affordable jumper that’s flying off the shelves, and she looked very comfortable talking to those who were obviously delighted with their visit. Since early teen photos of her show more of an afro, I wonder if she has to straighten her hair to confine it. I hope she can adopt a nore natural style as she is lovely just as she is. I agree that in several videos outside, in unguarded moments, she looked overwhelmed. It reminds me of Diana’s early appearances when she was reduced to tears. It’s wonderful to see Harry helping her to adjust. No one can prepare her for the media onslaught she is facing, but I hope, dear readers, that this blog will not become a forum for picky remarks.

1. what meghan wore January 9, 2018 at 8:05 pm

IMO she looked more “touched” by all the well wishers than overwhelmed. In seeing her over the years at different events – I really feel she is just in awe of it. She could also be feeling off today as well – you never know. Also, I have a whole list of fantastic hair products she used from Vanity Fair we’ll be sharing if anyone is interested. – SC

10. Mindy January 9, 2018 at 4:30 pm

Love the all black attack and the understated.jewelery. Hate the bun. It looks like she just rolled out.of.bed.

11. ElizaMo January 9, 2018 at 5:03 pm

Lovely post, thank you. I think Meghan chose a great look for today, and I’m not at all troubled by the casual updo, in fact I’m glad to see an updo early on given how long we had to wait before Kate ever put hers up. I think the casual effect was entirely in keeping with the venue and helps give her authenticity and street cred.

She seems to be in a bit of a style formula here, this is the third time we’ve had a neutral outer layer with dark day clothes underneath. It works well of course and I love this latest coat, I’m especially glad we’ve escaped from the tie belts which can look bulky and in my experience tend to work loose no matter how tight the knot. This looks better adapted to a working engagement.

I love the photo you have of her all-black outfit from the front, it makes more sense to see how the wide pants come up to a tiny waist with the pretty black top and its bell sleeves. It also shows how having her hair tied back helps the silhouette come up to a definite point from the broad base.

As a rule I’m no fan of wide trousers with high heels but I love these shoes, and the slight block heel saves them from being pointy stilettos a la Melania. Part of my problem with the black outfit comes from having lived through flares and bell sleeves back in the 1970s and having sworn ‘never again’ I had a particular failing for getting those sleeves into my soup, alas, a thought which only occurred to me after I’d ordered one to try on. Oops.

1. what meghan wore January 9, 2018 at 5:22 pm

I ordered the sweater too! Please give a review of it, would love to compare notes – I’ll do a post for sure with photos! – SusanC

1. ElizaMo January 9, 2018 at 6:22 pm

I’ll be more than happy to compare notes, It’s great to know someone else who’s ordered it.

2. what meghan wore January 9, 2018 at 7:57 pm

Fantastic! I will make a note of this. 🙂 – SC

3. ElizaMo January 15, 2018 at 11:01 am

Not sure if this is where to carry on our chat but here goes! I have the jumper here now and have been very impressed by it. It’s really stylish and a lovely fabric for the price, there’s an extra detail of contrast weave down the front which is really neat.

I ordered two sizes being pessimistic about, er, weight gain over Christmas, but no need to worry, an M&S Size 10 has as much room in it as ever. The bodice is quite short and I would have preferred the extra length of the Size 12 when worn with jeans, but then I have to cope with even more fullness in the bell sleeve. The lovely long cuff keeps the fabric out of range of most hazards but I can see I need to watch myself when trying to pass the salt. This is not a garment I would want to risk doing the washing up in!

The big plus for me is the discovery that it’s the perfect match with a winter skirt I’m fond of and have only found about one top that really suits. This gives the skirt — higher-waisted than jeans — a fresh lease of life. Result!

1. what meghan wore January 9, 2018 at 9:21 pm

Hi – Those are actually similar looking pants/trousers to the ones Meghan wore – the ones Meghan has on appear to have peats in them near the waist. The Burberry Wyhill have a flat front in the waist area. I was looking earlier and need to look again in order to confirm the correct pair. Thanks! – SC

12. Faith Poole January 9, 2018 at 7:00 pm

Love the coat, trousers, shoes, and top. Casual is one thing, but that messy bun looks like something she would do for yoga class. Her hair never looks good!

NOTE: Admin edit

1. Julie January 9, 2018 at 7:32 pm

Really? Never looks good? Perhaps it’s not to your taste, and she does seem to touch it often, but it’s a modern look. I hope she gains enough confidence to wear a relaxed, natural style.

13. Carolyn January 9, 2018 at 7:36 pm

I thought she looked great, but I do agree with the others who felt the hair was too casual. To me personally I feel there is a difference between your hair being casual and styled & casual and messy. It reminded me of my hair this morning when I was too lazy to do it and was hiding out in my office. I’m sure the people she was visiting put a lot of thought into what they looked like and I feel she could have put a bit more effort in her hair.

14. Tamara January 9, 2018 at 9:20 pm

As a long-time fan of “What Kate Wore”, I’m thrilled to bookmark this site as my go-to source for all news and fashion for Meghan. As a Canadian, I’m delighted with her support of Canadian fashion and jewellery; I love her Maison Birks choices to date, and I hope the she will be able to continue to showcase (although I will understand if she is not, particularly given that she’ll have access to so many British options). As for Meghan’s outfit–including her hair–I think she looks fabulous–chic yet accessible (and Harry has clearly taken a page out of her style-book). Looking forward to a great year following your site!

15. JustMeg January 9, 2018 at 9:38 pm

What I find most interesting about this look is that unlike many royal ladies (well, Kate and HM), Meghan is wearing a real coat as a coat and taking it off once indoors to reveal an outfit beneath. It gives the coat a different feel being a real coat rather than a coat dress and feels unfamiliar in royal watching. But I like it! And love the chic trouser ensemble with the casual updo for this engagement. I wish that M&S sweater were still available.

It will be interesting to see if she repeats the black. It’s not completely unheard of (aside from HM), but if it’s a faux pas, then it’s one Diana made as well in the strapless black Emanuel gown she wore during her engagement.

1. Diana January 10, 2018 at 10:09 am

Catherine has done all black as well, even though technically protocol states that Royals should only wear all black when in mourning and/or at some kind of remembrance/memorial event. But to be truthful with the modernization of The Monarchy, as long a Her Majesty The Queen isn’t present at the event it is one of the rules that tends get a lot of leeway.

And, just for the record Kate wore a black strapless McQueen gown with a ruby jewelry set (believe to have been given to her as a wedding gift from Harry, which not only I would love see Kate wear more often, but makes me anxious to see what kind of jewelry Harry will bestow on Meghan) to an event with William and Harry, the first Christmas after her and William got married. You can see pics here: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/tvshowbiz/article-2076265/Kate-Middleton-shines-Sun-Military-Awards-strapless-velvet-dress-diamonds.html

1. jsrouthier January 14, 2018 at 8:12 pm

Kate has a large collection of black dresses that she wears for all kinds of occasions. The Beulah one she wore in New York is one of my all-time favorite looks on her. If “no all-black” is really a rule, Meghan is certainly not the first to flout it.

16. Amelie January 9, 2018 at 11:37 pm

Found your website via WKW and I appreciate the way you write the posts. Similar to Susan’s website yet clearly your own. 🙂 I think it’s hilarious everyone is fussing over Meghan’s casual updo. It’s modern and it’s accessible with a few wispy pieces framing her face (very 90s actually!). I’ve always found Kate’s hair to be too done up or fussy. Plenty of women wear their hair like Meghan’s on a daily basis and I find it refreshing she didn’t feel the need to get it all done up. She’s not going to a gala, just meeting some youth working at a radio station. Also someone asked if Meghan straightens her hair and she most definitely does. Her natural hair is definitely curlier and has more of an Afro texture. I don’t know what she does to her hair, she might get it relaxed (a lot of African American women do), have extensions, or she might just straighten it every day. She doesn’t have naturally straight hair.

Loved her outfit. I personally don’t like wide leg slacks but Meghan can pull them off!

1. what meghan wore January 9, 2018 at 11:51 pm

Hi Amelie – WMW is actually run/maintained by both Susan K and and myself, Susan C. 😉 Thank you for joining us here! More to come and we are working hard to get everything updated. Enjoy! – SusanC

1. Amelie January 10, 2018 at 12:28 pm

Ah ok! Well both of you Susans are doing good word! Thanks for also covering Meghan’s style. 🙂

17. Bonnie January 10, 2018 at 12:36 am

Well, I have to say that I was expecting a much more polished look from Meghan. The hair is a mess and looks like she put it up en route to the event. Ditto on the scarf. Did she even look in a mirror as she wrapped it around her neck? The coat is fine, as is the sweater…although neither of them stands out to me as anything very special. The wide leg pants dwarfs her petit frame, although they are better than her ripped jeans.

Perhaps warmer weather will bring out better fashion choices.

18. Marlys January 10, 2018 at 1:06 am

This is by far my favourite coat that Meghan has worn since the engagement. I’m a huge fan of the all-black look – it looks elegant and appropriate. Her sense of style is so different from Kate’s and to be honest, I love them both. It’s great to see that Meghan is keeping her own sense of style as far as possible.

Thank you for starting this blog… I have been following What Kate Wore for years and it’s great that you are keeping the same formula for reporting on Meghan’s wardrobe. Keep up the great work!

19. Liz January 10, 2018 at 6:19 am

Thanks from Sydney, Australia for the fabulous new blog on Meghan. I’m a huge fan of WKW and now an equally huge fan of WMW. Good luck!
    I think Meghan looks lovely and I’m sure she will rock the boat a bit – good on her.
    Cheers
    Liz

20. preppyhippy January 10, 2018 at 6:24 am

The messy bun, bunched up scarf, and long coat are so Toronto winter fashion!

It’s MUCH colder in Toronto than it is in London, with temps dipping below -20C often in the wintertime. Long coats are essential if you do not wish to have frozen legs. There is also not much need to do your hair in Toronto as it usually gets covered by a giant scarf (as seen here) or a toque. Canadian fashion is uber casual, much, much less so than British fashion. I’m just seeing it so plainly that Meghan is dressing as if she is still living in Toronto.

Maybe since she is not married yet, there is no official wardrobe budget for her and she is wearing what she already owns and still has to buy her own clothing? I would imagine so. We know that Clarence House has an official wardrobe budget for Kate, so I imagine Meghan will get a budget too, but only once she is married?

The hair and the scarf was really not a good look. It didn’t really photograph well to have her face obscured by rolls of scarf and strands of hair everywhere. She needs a stylist who can help her with Royal sartorial protocol. We may find it refreshing that she is breaking the mold and I think it’s fine to wear trousers if that’s what she pleases, but she risks offending people if she continues to look unpolished on official Royal engagements; she is a representative of the Queen now. I think she will come into her own eventually, while still retaining a sense of her own style, but this is definitely an adjustment period for her.

1. Bonnie January 10, 2018 at 11:40 pm

Preppy Hippy, I actually live just outside of Toronto. Yes, in winter we do need warm clothes to include longer coats and scarves. But I wouldn’t say that the messy hair is a typical Toronto professional look. Also, so many women can do wonderful things with a scarf. It can be a fashion statement as well as something of warmth. This scarf and this hairdo send a message of “I don’t care. This is not important enough to make an effort.” What a difference from the over the top, extravagant engagement photos dress, to this, “I just got out of bed look.”

1. preppyhippy January 13, 2018 at 6:49 am

Oh, I’m not saying it’s professional by any means! I’m just saying that there are a lot of people who wear that style while out and about in Toronto. And I live in Canada too, it is much more casual than London and a far cry from Royal dress. I think the scarf wouldn’t have been such a terrible choice if she had worn it more neatly.

I think the thing to keep in mind here is that Meghan is now a representative of the Royal family, and so even for casual visits such as this it’s expected that she should stand out, in a certain sense. As a sign of respect, her look should be a little more elevated than what anyone else would wear for a casual trip to the radio station.

It will be very interesting to see how her style evolves. I’m sure it’s quite the learning curve for her. Overall, her taste is not so bad. She just needs to polish her image a bit more, which I’m sure will come with time.

21. Chitown January 10, 2018 at 10:58 am

So chic and cool! Wow, what a rock star moment!

22. Mrs. B January 10, 2018 at 11:18 am

I give Meghan an ‘E’ for effort on this outfit. I believe she is quite petite and I think the long coat with the wide leg trouser and bell sleeve top plus a scarf equals too much fabric for a small frame. I really like all the pieces as separates but together is seems a bit much. I like the jewelry and the idea of a casual hairstyle for this event but I agree that it tipped into the messy category upon arrival in the wind. I am looking forward to seeing her choices as she takes on more work in the coming months.

23. Fliss January 10, 2018 at 2:58 pm

I’ve come to your site via What Kate Wore and am interested to see how Meghan’s style develops and compares to Kate’s.

It must be quite a transition going from actress to royalty and I think its a good choice for Meghan to stay with what is comfortable for her at the start and work her way up from that. This is a nice look and suits the occasion. I’m especially pleased that she has chosen a sweater from Marks and Spencer. A good British brand acccessible to all. For that alone, I give her top marks!! Coupling it with Jigsaw and Burberry is a good understanding of some good British brands. A good start.

24. Claire January 10, 2018 at 3:26 pm

I love the casual look! It makes a change from Kate’s style, which looks over polished even when she uis s dressing casually.

25. Jessica January 10, 2018 at 6:39 pm

Gosh, she’s pretty. I love the top and the delicate jewelry. It’s all very safe, but that’s entirely appropriate at this stage in her official duties. Her hair looks really nice up, but I do agree with others that it would have been nice to see it wrangled a bit better. I don’t think it’s inappropriate or anything; it’s just not ideal for photocalls and walkabouts to have that forelock constantly falling in front of her eyes.

The shoes are quite amazing. I enjoy her use of neutrals and will be looking forward to seeing more of that!

26. Maluhia January 10, 2018 at 7:46 pm

I absolutely love the shirt, pants and belt combo. So chic and stylish! Fabulous outfit.

The big coat and scarf cracked me up. Gotta stay warm – that California girl is still getting used to the London weather! It’s 65 degrees here in California today – down from the 70s last week! Lol. 🙂

27. Larissa January 11, 2018 at 4:16 am

I’m not a fan of wide trousers in general but I actually think Meghan pulls them off quite well here. The sweater is a great choice for the event.

I’m surprised by a lot of the “black is for mourning” comments here; it never occurred to me that this was a rule in the British royal family. I can think of several occasions where Kate has worn pretty much all black with a coat or dress and I don’t remember that point coming up. I think Meghan’s combination of pieces doesn’t suggest mourning in any way, with the flouncy sleeves and wide cut of the trousers. Or maybe I’m biased because as I look down today, I happen to be wearing all black as well! 😉

Great post, this was a cool event to learn about! Looking forward to seeing how Meghan’s style evolves as she gets more comfortable with her role, as I agree with the comments about the casualness of the bun. Kate didn’t get it right the first time either and I think the hair was Meghan’s first real misstep fashion-wise since the engagement.

28. Beth January 12, 2018 at 7:57 am

I agree that on first sight, the hair and the scarf look messy and disheveled, however, I think that Meghan was dressing to fit in with the people she was visiting. If that’s the case then mission accomplished. They are young and hip and really, so is she. The comparisons to Kate, while inevitable, are not really fair since they are so different in personality and style. Kate is much more conservative and that’s OK. They both have a tough role to fulfill.

29. M January 13, 2018 at 1:53 am

I thought Meghan looked beautiful and chic. I understand why many people didn’t like her messy bun – maybe it was quite a departure from Kate who is always polished. Maybe they don’t expect messy buns from royals or soon-to-be royals. I, however, I’m glad that she is sticking to her own style. I would hate for her to start dressing like Kate! They are 2 different women and I like that they each have their own style. I do think thatt her style will evolve after she gets married and lives in London after a few years. We’ll see but I sure hope she keeps her own sense of style and identity.

1. what meghan wore January 13, 2018 at 2:40 am

M – knowing Meghan, she will very much keep her own identity/style mixed in as she settles in to this new life. I am very excited myself for the year ahead and time that follows.
      -SC

30. TZH January 24, 2018 at 3:38 am

I agree with ‘M’ I think she needs to continue with her own style. The messy bun is different for a soon-to-be-royal but she is probably going to bring a whole new style into the world just as Kate did when she first entered the royal family…not meaning that she will outshine Kate…but they are two very different women and they have their own style.
    Anyway, about what she wore, I like the coat and scarf together. The trouser? When I first saw them under the coat I thought they were terrible but when she removed her coat, they look amazing with the high neck jumper and the belt and they really suit her body shape.
    I think the messy bun is really the only thing she can wear with a scarf…if she wore a ponytail, she would look very clustered because it would flow down her back, it would fall down over her thick scarf…can anyone agree on that?
    Overall, I love this look and I think it is a perfect example of Meghan’s style